The human body has its own circadian rhythm, and that’s why people get tired at night and have more energy throughout the day. When someone works the night shift, they are disrupting their own circadian rhythm, with the potential to wreak havoc on their system and their sleep. Working the night shift can cause sleep disorders, as well as insomnia, and can even have a negative impact on your health. So, if you do find yourself in this position (because everyone has to make a living, right?) what are the ways you can reduce the negative effects on your body?
- It is likely that when you do sleep, you aren’t get quite enough. Increase your sleep by napping throughout the day when you feel you must. This will help you make up for a lack of quality in your sleep.
- Rotate shifts as little as possible. It’s hard enough on your body to work the night shift, but when you work the night shift for a couple of weeks, and then switch to the day shift, your body goes into real turmoil. Limit this as much as possible and stay on your own sleep schedule as tightly as you can.
- Block the light in your bedroom. This might include installing black-out shades and curtains, and even a sleep mask. The sun, trying to get in, is meant to keep you awake and energized, so limit its entrance into your bedroom as much as possible.
- Only drink coffee or caffeinated beverages at the beginning of your shift. As it gets closer to quitting time, you’ll want to make sure there’s nothing working against you when you go home to sleep.
- Try to keep the lights at work as bright as possible. By bathing your body and eyes in natural light (full spectrum light is best to replicate the sun), you are helping to regulate your sleep schedule.
Since 1996, Always Best Care has been providing exceptional and compassionate in-home care to seniors all over the United States and Canada. If you live in the Richmond area and would like information regarding senior care in Southside Richmond or are interested in free referrals for assisted living facilities in Southside Richmond, you can call the Always Best Care Richmond location at 804-912-5688 to set up a free consultation. They look forward to being a part of your bright future!