While there are a number of causes for back pain, and nearly 80% of the population will suffer from it at some point in their lives, there are ways to avoid it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! And back pain can cause a lot of suffering and a huge loss of productivity. Follow these tips for a healthy back and a spring in your step!
- Maintain a healthy weight. One of the reasons why some people endure back pain is because they are carrying too much extra weight. When you implement a lifestyle of healthy eating, you no longer help gravity in pulling your body downward, creating painful stress along the way.
- Sleep the right way. Back pain is often borne from sleeping in unusual positions. You can talk to your doctor about sleeping “the right way” and which way would be most beneficial for you. A pillow may be needed to support the back and knees, which may ultimately reduce pain. Stomach sleeping is not recommended because it often causes pain, but it can be accommodated with a pillow beneath the hips.
- Exercise. What’s great for blood flow and decreasing inflammation? Yes, exercise. Although the thought of participating in exercise might be overwhelming for you while you’re in pain, work up to the amount you can do comfortably. Simply walking is a great place to start. Make sure to stretch before and after to decrease stiffness and pain.
- Choose comfortable shoes. Heels over one inch can create a lot of pain because muscles in the back are being misaligned. Find comfortable shoes – maybe your doctor can recommend some – to spend most of your day in. Your back will thank you for it!
- Always lift with your legs. This is sometimes hard to remember but once it happens – you are reminded quickly! Make sure that when you’re doing any type of lifting, that you bend your knees and not your waist. Your leg muscles are much more suited for lifting, and you’ll keep your back in tip top shape.
If you live in the Richmond and surrounding area, and are interested in learning about elder care in Midlothian VA or if you’d like free referrals for assisted living in Southside Richmond, you can contact the Always Best Care Richmond location at 804-912-5688 to set up a free care consultation. They look forward to hearing from you!